Wednesday, 30 March 2016

Digital v's traditional printing

As my project is based on tradition against modernisation, I wanted to use both traditional and modernised methods of created fashion. 

For my jacket, I created prints using a traditional screen printing technique and a modernised digital technique. 

I had previously done some traditonal screen printing sampling from the image I took of cowhides from the traditional tannery in Devon, however they where too literal in terms of taking the image and turning it into a print, therefore I created a print pattern with each individual layers of colour. 





Below is an image of the digital printer printing my print pattern. 



This is the finished solution from the digital print. I am not satisfied with the reaults as the colours have not turned out correct, also, with it being digitally printed, I could only use specific special coated fabrics that where all white.



I then went back to the traditonal screen printing company - ESP Teesside to work  on the same pattern but screen printed for the bottom of the jacket.

I created templates for each individual colour layer and mapped them out onto the fabric pannels to get the correct layout.




The templates where then infused into the screens using the UV light.




Each of the 6 individual colours where then layered and printed.



This is the final solution on the jacket fabric. I am very pleased with the results the print turned out better than expected. It was very difficult to mirror the traditional print as it had to be done my eye and accuracy. The traditional printing may have took 6 and a half hours, and the digital printing only took around 10 minutes, but overall the quality and craftsmanship gone into the traditional screen print is much more effective than the modernised way of printing. 
This to me speaks volumes and makes me realise how traditional techniques and craftsmanship must remain in order to remain quality, wether it be tradition and modernisation working together.















No comments:

Post a Comment