Wednesday, 20 January 2016

London - Somerset - Devon Uni reasearch





Today I am on my way to London to began research for my Final Major Project. As my project is following on from Minor Project (where I got inspiration from traditional leather tanneries), I will going to be visiting a traditional leather tannery. This will then lead to the concept of differentiating traditional against modern ways of creating fashion, and trying to understand why almost everything has to be modernised to suit society, but why traditional tanneries and methods of tanning leather is still able to remain. 
I will first be stopping in London for the day/night to get a feel for the modern day, and understanding modern fashion. Tomorrow I will be making an early start, branching off from London I will be visiting Pittards - a leather manufactures in Yeovil Somerset. From visiting pittards I will hopefully gain experience of the manufacturing side of leather, after the leather has been tanned. Here I will also be able to take photos of the modern factory machinery which may influence my design process. 
From Pittards in Somerset, I will then be visiting Baker J&FJ and Co in Colyton Devon. Baker J&FJ and Co is one of the last remaining traditional oak bark tanneries in the UK. It will be amazing to see the traditional tanning method in action, and I will take photos again which I will be able to come back to my sketchbook with and begin the design influence, with inspiration from the leather hides and equipment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment