Thursday, 21 January 2016

On route to Pittards tannery visit!



I am currently on route to visit Pittards - a leather manufacturing tannery in Yeovil, Somerset. 
Pittards leather factory is a classic example of traditional leather tanning being modernised. The company started off in 1826 where the factory began to tan there own leather. However, as time evolved, the actual tanning process moved overseas to Edjersa, where labour was cheap and Pittards believed in providing jobs and care for the disadvantaged. Although ethical views can be brought from this move to overseas, I question why Pittards didn't remain a traditional tannery. Cheaper labour results in cheaper prices, however, to be made completely in Britain isn't that what people would want?  
Wouldn't you think if the tanning processing part was done overseas where it is cheaper labour the whole manufacturing side would be done overseas? 
Whilst visiting, these are the questions I will be considering, I will try to get more of an understanding of how Pittards work with there leather, and hopefully I will be able to take images which may inspire my design process.
Below is a link to Pittards blog.

http://www.pittards.com/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment